With the cost of living on the rise, we’re all trying to find ways of reducing our monthly spends. Owning a dog comes with many costs to consider and insurance is one of the big ones. It’s not a legal requirement but may very well be worth the investment as you never know what may happen and being covered could save you thousands should your dog need expensive veterinary care and treatments.
We’ve put together a list of the most expensive dog breeds to insure so you can take this into account when choosing your dog. Based on research done by Many Pets, the top 5 most expensive breeds to insure in the UK are:
- Bernese Mountain Dog costing on average £933.37 annually to insure
- Doberman costing on average £914.97 annually to insure
- Newfoundland costing on average £912.44 annually to insure
- Great Dane costing on average £905.79 annually to insure
- Chow Chow costing on average £902.65 annually to insure
It’s not only the cost to insure you need to consider when getting a dog. There are many other costs involved including:
- Cost to buy the dog
- Accessories – Bed, Toys, Collar & Lead, ID Tag etc
- Vet Bills & Regular Medications
- Neutering (if you decide to do so)
- Day Care or Dog Walker if you’re not able to do it yourself everyday.
Please ensure you have budgeted for all these costs before committing to buying or rescuing a dog.