With the jolly hollys just around the corner, it’s easy to forget that Christmas might not be so great for some! The Christmas season brings with it joy, love – and a list of potentially harmful stuff for your dog to come into contact with.
Here are the top 10 things you need to keep your pup away from this holiday season.
A pretty obvious one, as chocolate is a well-known toxin to dogs. There will be plenty of it lying around at Christmas time (Quality Streets, anyone?) so make sure it’s out of reach of your furry pal.
Raisins, currants and sultanas are all toxic to dogs, and the dried versions of these can be even worse.
Macadamia nuts are poisonous to dogs so should be kept well out of reach.
As delicious as gravy is, it contains a lot of salt. Excess salt can cause an upset tummy, dehydration and in worse case scenarios can cause seizures and even death. Keep the gravy off any leftovers you feed to your dog.
Eating non-foods can cause dangerous blockages. Keep an eye on your dog when they’re around floor-level decorations, or keep your decorating off the ground. Puppies in particular love to explore, so make sure you do some Christmas puppy proofing if you have a young dog at home.
Both usually contain alcohol, and while us humans can enjoy a tipple or two, dogs need to avoid alcohol entirely as even a small amount can be extremely toxic for them.
Onions & Garlic
If you plan to give your dog leftovers, be careful of onions or garlic as they can cause gastric irritation and anaemia if eaten in large quantities.
Grapes are toxic to dogs and can even be fatal.
While low in toxicity, the berries of the mistletoe plant can cause plenty of tummy upset.
If you like to add nutmeg to your eggnog, be careful – it’s toxic to dogs.