There are a million things to know and love about your dog, and the literature on this furry animal is unlimited. While we could spend all day looking up facts about a dog’s general disposition, what types of dogs most like peanut butter, or which breed of dog does best in the snow, here are 10 facts you didn’t know about dogs just for the fun of it. Use them as conversation starters at parties and the dog park. You’re welcome.
1. It’s a myth that dogs only see in black and white. Dogs see primarily in blue, green, yellow, and various shades of grey.
2. The average dog is as intelligent as a two year old child.
3. Dogs and humans have been living side-by-side for about 15,000 years.
4. Dogs drink by forming the back of their tongues into mini cups.
5. Paul McCartney added a high pitched whistle audible only to dogs, within The Beatles song “A Day In The Life”. It was recorded for his old English Sheepdog.
6. Two stray dogs in Afghanistan saved 50 US soldiers. A Facebook group raised $21,000 to bring the dogs back to the US and reunite them with the soldiers they saved.
7. If you let the hair of Poodles grow, it will form dreadlocks.
8. Max, Buddy, and Bailey are the most popular male dog names.
9. A dog’s sense of smell is 10,000 – 100,000 times more acute than humans’.
10. Feeling anxious? Studies indicate that petting your dog can lower your blood pressure.